Saturday, January 30, 2016

Featured Trail Hike: Embudito Trailhead and Oso Spring

It doesn't matter what time of day (or year) it is, visiting the Sandias is always breathtaking. Though it does help to visit in the early-mid mornings.



 

I decided to start exploring the more southern regions of the Sandia Mountains, since most of it is actually quicker access to the Cibola National Forest/Wilderness.  I went for the Embudito Trail, which is a small, free (yay! free!) parking lot heading towards the western, lower base of the mountains.  I had only read a little bit about this place, so navigating it with dogs was a bit confusing, but at least the trails were clear.  I actually didn't end up on the Embudito trail til mid-afternoon. It turns out I walked straight into the canyon (which gets narrow very quickly) and into the Oso Springs.  I did a video while I was there, and probably said a bunch of incorrect stuff that I didn't figure out til I got home.





But seriously, look at it. look.  that's three-inch thick ice in front of me, and it only got thicker farther up.  It's a steep, slippery section, so unless you have microspikes on your footwear, don't try it. 

I'm really starting to fall in love with the Cibola National Forest.  




Want to find this place on your own?  Check out the Sandia Mountains GPS-Powered Trail Map by Dharma Maps:  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep This Site Running!